How to Choose the Right Painting Contractor
Most Property Owners and Homeowners
Only Paint Every 7 to 10 Years and Many Don’t Know
What Questions to Ask to Evaluate a Painting Contractor.
The following information is provided to assist property owners and homeowner’s in choosing a painting contractor. This is not an exhaustive list and all of the questions may not apply to your situation.
Here are 3 areas we recommend you consider in evaluation every painting contractor you talk to:
- The Reputation and Business Stability of the Painting Company
- Their Experience and Methodology
- Their Service Before, During and After Your Project
For each area simply ask the questions and ask the painting contractor to provide the evidence to support their answers.
Reputation and Business Stability of the Painting Company
Are you licensed in Nassau and in Suffolk Counties for painting and home improvement and will you provide us with a copy of your licenses?
- Will you supply a copy of your current insurance certificate?
- Will you provide a copy of your business registration for your current company? (This is proof of how long they have been in business under this name.)
- Can you provide me with a reference list with at least 15 recent customers?
- Will you provide us with a reference from you bank and your key suppliers?
- What professional organization(s) of painting contractors do you belong to?
- Do you or have you ever held an officer position in any organization of professional painters? PDCA
- Have you ever filed for bankruptcy for any company or organization in which you were an owner that did painting or home remodeling?
- Will you provide me with certificates that prove that your company and at least one member of your crew is certified in the new EPA Law on Lead Effective April 22, 2010?
Experience and Methodology
Will you provide a detailed breakdown of the service you are providing?
- Do you have specific experience in glazing, stenciling, Venetian plaster, color washes and other decorative methods?
- Do you have a written policy regarding the use of drugs and alcohol by your crews?
- What screening procedures do you use before hiring an employee?
- Do you hire part-time employees or subcontractors to work in your crews?
- Do you require your employees to wear uniforms?
- What type of training do your employees receive on domestic and security issues?
Service Before, During and After the Project
Will you provide me with your warranty in writing?
- Have you ever repainted or repaired a project that was out of warranty?
- What is your company phone policy?
- How often do you meet with the homeowner to review job progress?
- Do you provide a price guarantee?
We hope these questions give you the information you need to make the best choice when it comes to hiring, evaluating and working with a professional painting contractor to paint your home or install new wallpaper or wall coverings.
The Biggest Reason Why
Homeowners Shouldn’t Hire a Handyman to Repair Painted Surfaces
Proper surface preparation is the most important part of any paint job and the smart move is to hire a professional painter to do it NOT the handyman. A professional painter does this every day not once every couple of weeks or months. This is especially important for interior painting and repairs.
Many times homeowners will call a handyman service to repair a crack in the plaster or fix the trim or replace a door etc. These projects will require painting to complete the repair and the handyman will “volunteer” to do the painting.
If you need any of these interior painting services call a professional painting contractor:
- Dry Wall Repairs and Plastering
- Skim coating
- Staining and Varnishing New and Existing Woodwork
- Door Refinishing
- Decorative Painting Including: Glazing, Color Washes and Venetian Plaster
Serving: Suffolk and Nassau Counties, New York